HalifaxToday, in partnership with the Dartmouth SPCA, brings you a regular feature highlighting a special pet that is in need of adoption.
Sweet Suzy is approximately 30 kgs, spayed and estimated to be between one - two years old. She is playful, dog-friendly and loves to run in the grass, chase butterflies and play wrestle.
Inside, she loves chew toys such as Kongs, and snuggling with her canine and feline friends. After a good romp around the yard, she is content to snooze away the work day and is not destructive.
As with many of this group, she can be very timid and fearful around new people but she is doing better with every passing week! Once she trusts you, her personality shines through.
Suzy is not yet leash trained so she cannot be taken on outings, car rides or to parks. Suzy likes playing chase and fetch and ice cream. She dislikes pool time. She can be super curious and silly and is getting more affectionate every day.
The SPCA is seeking specialized adoption homes that meet strict criteria. These criteria will ensure the dogs best chance of success at long term rehabilitation.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- No urban centers - a lot of traffic, noises and other stimuli are hard for them to process.
- Quiet home - as they will be learning many things for the first time, a busy environment would be too much for the dog to learn all at once.
- Children 16 years or older or adult only home
- Dog experienced home - specifically having owned dogs of your own currently or in the past.
- Time to spend working on the rehabilitation plan which could include attending training sessions, speaking to a trainer over the phone or in person. This will help you to build the dogs confidence as they transition to living in a home environment.
- A meet and greet will be scheduled with your current dogs to meet the new potential dog.
- FENCED IN YARD MANDATORY
It would be beneficial to have the following, for some of the dogs these criteria may be mandatory while for others they are only recommended:
- Quiet rural or country home setting. No apartments or condos
- Experience with dogs with shy or fearful traits
Suzy is available for adoption from the Dartmouth SPCA. Please specify this location when filling out your online adoption application. https://www.novascotiaspca.ca/dog-adoption-application/
Unable to adopt? Share this feature on social media so each animal can get the exposure it needs and find a loving home.
To see past featured creatures who may still need adopting click here.