Skip to content
live

Premier calls Atlantic bubble a success, despite withdrawal of other provinces

Stephen McNeil says the province will not be opening up to the rest of Canada anytime soon
112720 - mcneil
(Photo provided)

Nova Scotia's premier says he believes the Atlantic bubble was a huge success despite the other Atlantic provinces choosing to withdraw from it.

This comes after both New Brunswick and Newfoundland and Labrador announced last week all travellers heading to those provinces now need to self-isolate for 14 days.

In addition, Prince Edward Island has suspended all non-essential travel until at least Dec. 7.

Despite those provinces choosing to withdraw, Premier Stephen McNeil still believes the bubble was a good idea.

"It's been a huge success for the mental health of Atlantic Canadians," said McNeil. "I think when we provided that Atlantic bubble, you felt a level of anxiety disappear from the citizens."

Both Dr. Robert Strang and McNeil said Friday that the province would still allow residents of other Atlantic provinces to travel to Nova Scotia without self-isolating, but urged potential visitors not to travel unless it's absolutely essential.

McNeil added the province will not be opening up to the rest of Canada anytime soon, but adds if we do, the rapid testing model being implemented would have to play a major role.




Chris Halef

About the Author: Chris Halef

Chris is a reporter for HalifaxToday.ca and NEWS 95.7. In 2018, he won the RTDNA Dave Rogers Award for best short feature.
Read more
Rogers Sports & Media
6080 Young Street Halifax, NS, B3K 5L2
© 2006-2022 Rogers Sports & Media. All rights reserved.
push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks