The province announced it is investing more than $850,000 in mental health support for 28 organizations.
In a release, the province says organizations that serve those most vulnerable to the health, social and economic impacts of COVID-19 are receiving funding through the Federal Safe Restart Agreement.
"These are difficult times for many of us. It's OK to feel overwhelmed or anxious and it's important that Nova Scotians know there are services there to support them," said Health Minister Zach Churchill.
Roughly $200,000 will go to the Health Association of African Canadians, $80,000 will go to the Canadian Mental Health Association's Nova Scotia division, and $25,000 will go to the Brain Injury Association of Nova Scotia, among others.
"We are so pleased to receive this funding to develop mental health resources for Black women as HAAC has advocated for and identified this as a significant gap in the health system," said Sharon Davis-Murdoch, co-president, Health Association of African Canadians.
Government had previously announced funding for other organizations through the Federal Safe Restart Agreement, including $1.6 million for the Mental Health Foundation of Nova Scotia.
Organizations receiving funding under this initiative are:
- Health Association of African Canadians, $200,000
- Canadian Mental Health Association - Nova Scotia Division, $80,000
- The Brain Injury Association of Nova Scotia, $25,000
- Autism Nova Scotia, $25,000
- Reachability, $25,000
- Caregivers Nova Scotia, $25,000
- Prescott Group, $25,000
- Inclusion Nova Scotia, $25,000
- Mawita'mk Society, $25,000
- Canadian Association of Community Living (Antigonish), $25,000
- Vision Loss Rehabilitation, $25,000
- Canadian Council of the Blind (Nova Scotia Chapters), $25,000
- New Dawn Enterprises, $25,000
- Immigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia, $50,000
- Antigonish Women's Centre and Sexual Assault Services Association, $25,000
- La Fédération acadienne de la Nouvelle-Écosse, $25,000
- Elizabeth Fry, $15,000
- From the Ground Up, $10,000
- 7th Step, $10,000
- Nova Scotia Community Links, $25,000
- Schizophrenia Society of Nova Scotia, $25,000
- Eating Disorders Nova Scotia, $25,000
- Laing House, $25,000
- Youth Project, $25,000
- MacPhee Centre for Creative Learning, $25,000
- Healthy Minds Cooperative, $10,000
- The Public Good Society, $15,000
- Heartwood, $15,000