Skip to content
live

Nova Scotia reports 18 more COVID-19 deaths, drop in new hospitalizations

HALIFAX — Health officials say 18 more Nova Scotians died of COVID-19 last week. A news release today says 65 people were admitted to hospital because of the disease in the week ending Monday, down from 77 the week before.
20220512140520-627d50183552f0d4f5208582jpeg
This undated electron microscope image made available by the U.S. National Institutes of Health in February 2020 shows the Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, yellow, emerging from the surface of cells, blue/pink, cultured in the lab. Also known as 2019-nCoV, the virus causes COVID-19. The sample was isolated from a patient in the U.S. Last week 18 more Nova Scotians died of COVID-19, the province says in a report released Thursday. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, NIAID-RML

HALIFAX — Health officials say 18 more Nova Scotians died of COVID-19 last week.

A news release today says 65 people were admitted to hospital because of the disease in the week ending Monday, down from 77 the week before. 

Officials confirmed 3,118 new cases with PCR testing in that period, which is a drop from the 3,415 cases reported last Thursday. 

Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia’s chief medical officer of health, says the continued decline in COVID-19 cases is "great news" but the number of deaths and hospitalizations remains high.

He said in a statement that keeping in mind the severity of the illness is important, “as we make our way out of the sixth wave."

Nova Scotia Health is reporting that 253 health staff are off work due to COVID-19.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 12, 2022. 

---

This story was produced with the financial assistance of the Meta and Canadian Press News Fellowship.

The Canadian Press

Rogers Sports & Media
6080 Young Street Halifax, NS, B3K 5L2
© 2006-2022 Rogers Sports & Media. All rights reserved.
push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks