A man is facing several charges after Halifax Regional Police say they seized a loaded firearm.
Police headed to the area of Windmill and Victoria roads at around 4:15 p.m. Tuesday after getting a report of an impaired driver.
When officers arrived they located a suspect vehicle, but say when they turned on their lights and sirens, the vehicle didn't stop.
After a brief pursuit, the driver was arrested, but police say a passenger ran off, dropping a loaded firearm as he tried to get away.
He didn't get far and was soon arrested.
Deshaie Edward Brie White, 23, is scheduled to appear in Dartmouth Provincial Court today to face charges of:
- Careless handling of a firearm
- Unsafe storage contrary to regulations
- Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose
- Carrying a concealed firearm
- Unauthorized possession of a restricted firearm without authorization
- Possession of a restricted firearm knowing it is unauthorized
- Unauthorized possession in a motor vehicle
- Possession of a restricted firearm with ammunition
- Possession of weapon obtained by the commission of an offence
- Two counts of possession contrary to firearm prohibition order
In addition, Zachery Austin Haines-Matthew, 23, is scheduled to appear in Dartmouth Provincial Court today to face charges of criminal flight from police.