Reprieve for Truro Raceway
Posted Jul 13, 2013 07:48:13 AM.
This article is more than 5 years old.
There’s a plan in the works to save the Truro Raceway.
Earlier this week, the track’s owners – the Nova Scotia Provincial Exhibition Commission – said the money-losing track would be shut down by Aug. 15 with the last harness race Sunday.
But the Nova Scotia Harness Racing Industry Association now says the track will stay open for at least the next two weeks.
Roger MacCallum, the general manager of the commission that owns the track, says the Truro Harness Horse Owners Association has applied for a greater percentage of some of the $1 million the province invests in horse racing every year.
But he says that will only keep the facility afloat for another few weeks.
While there are reports a plan is in the works for harness racing to continue its regular season in the Fall, MacCallum says it would take huge outside investment for that to become a reality.
“Without somebody coming forward with funding for them, I cannot see that happening,” said MacCallum. “The Nova Scotia (Provincial Exhibition) Commission itself is financially broke and cannot continue.”
A follow-up meeting is planned in the coming weeks.