Two charged men aren’t the only Nova Centre crane climbers
Posted Oct 1, 2014 06:58:05 AM.
This article is more than 5 years old.
Two men are facing charges after climbing a crane a the Nova Centre construction site in Halifax earlier this week, but two others say they did the same thing and they got away with it.
After hearing of the arrests, Evan didn’t want to use his last name, but he said he climbed the same crane on his walk home from a downtown bar.
He told News 95.7 he’s surprised at the lack of security at the site.
“It’s literally surrounded by a drinking district, it’s like a jungle gym for adults,” Evan said. “There is nothing stopping any person from getting over that fence.”
If they don’t want people in there, he said the developer and the construction company should ramp up security.
Joe Ramia of Rank Incorporated, the developer, declined to comment on security at the site, and calls to the construction company, EllisDon, were not returned.
The site is surrounded by a large locked fence and posted signs that say “Danger Keep Out”, “No Trespassing” and “Construction Site, Restricted Access” are clearly visible along the enclosure.
Evan said he didn’t think he was taking a big safety risk, but Halifax Regional Police spokesperson Pierre Bourdages disagreed.
“There are gaps and openings everywhere, there’s rebar showing, it’s a concrete building,” said Bourdages. “It’s an extremely dangerous site to work at in broad daylight when you have the proper safety equipment.”
Bourdages told News 95.7 the two men charged after breaking into the site are lucky they weren’t injured or worse.
“If you think about being intoxicated in the middle of the night when there’s limited light and you don’t know the site, it could have been disastrous,” he said.
Evan said he would do it again, but he expects there will be more security there in the future.