Global Affairs acknowledges Quebecer may have been kidnapped: report

By The Canadian Press

Radio-Canada reports that the federal government is not ruling out the possibility that a Quebec woman and her Italian friend may have been abducted in west Africa.

Sherbrooke native Edith Blais and her Italian friend Luca Tacchetto were travelling in Burkina Faso when all communication with their families “abruptly stopped” on Dec. 15, according to Blais’ sister.

Melanie Bergeron Blais says the pair were last seen in the city of Bobo-Dioulasso, in the country’s southwest, and had planned to drive to the capital of Ouagadougou before crossing into neighbouring Togo.

Global Affairs Canada says consular officials are reaching out to local authorities in Burkina Faso, but it won’t publish any information that could jeopardize ongoing efforts or endanger citizens’ safety.

A report published by the CBC’s French-language service on Sunday says the department has not received confirmation of an abduction, but it no longer excludes that as a possibility.

Meantime, Blais’ family has started a Facebook page related to the disappearance, and they say they are grateful for the help they’ve received so far.

The Canadian Press

Keep it Factual
Add CityNews Halifax as a trusted source on Google to see more local stories from us.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today