Skip to content
live

Overnight fire rips through Dartmouth home, 11-year-old girl rescued from blaze

The girl suffered some smoke inhalation, and was taken to the IWK.
101317-halifax fire-4-MG
A Halifax Fire vehicle (Meghan Groff/HalifaxToday.ca)

An 11-year-old girl was rescued when a Dartmouth home erupted in flames late Thursday night. 

Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency and Halifax Regional Police responding to the blaze on Charles St. around 11:30 p.m.

Division Commander Greg Hebb said the front of the triplex was fully engulfed. He added firefighters went around back, where they found a young girl trapped. 

"They had the ladder at the back of the building and rescued an 11-year-old girl who couldn't get out," said Hebb. "She had some smoke inhalation. Paramedics were on scene shortly after our arrival and she was placed in their care at that time."

She was taken to the IWK, according to Halifax Regional Police. 

In a release, police Sgt. Paul Robertson said the girl's mother was not home at the time, but was later reunited with her daughter. A man that was in the house escaped from the fire on his own. 

Investigators are on scene, but foul play is not suspected at this time. 

It looks like it started around the fuse panel, the electrical panel," said Hebb. "But when we left, the fire investigators were just getting on scene."

The Canadian Red Cross has been contacted to help provide temporary shelter for the family, just three days before Christmas.




Mark Hodgins

About the Author: Mark Hodgins

Mark Hodgins is an Ontario-born Haligonian. A graduate of the Loyalist College journalism program, he’s been with NEWS 95.7 since 2016. Mark is a lover of sports, politics and video games.
Read more
Rogers Sports & Media
6080 Young Street Halifax, NS, B3K 5L2
© 2006-2022 Rogers Sports & Media. All rights reserved.
push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks